Monday, September 8, 2014

So cute .... what ? The "So cute" Humble Flash Bundle

Yes. I know. I am a Humble Bundle Slave Bitch. But then again.

The Bundle I got now has the the all-saying name "So Cute" and is a freaking collection of senseless cuteness. They claim. Let us have an open mind look at that cute promise, shall we, my dear ?


1. Girls like Robots
2. Where is my Heart
3. Woodle Tree Adventures
4. Two Tribes
5. Triple Town


1. Girls like Robots

Do they ? Okai. Let us accept that premise. In this puzzle game you combine a nerd, a girl and a robot or n-times them and order them optimal to some adjacent rules. Like Girl-Likes-To-Next-To-Robot and Nerd likes to be next to Girl or in corners, but Girls don't like to be next to Nerds, etc.etc. The classical cliches combined with the strangely male-sexualized robot element.

And with rough vector graphics and well made folk music. I could play it 10 minutes. Then I had to quit. Squeak, Squeak.



2. Where is my Heart

Cute ? I do not know. Weird ? Yes, totally. You play three things, one is a naked human I think, and they walk around in a pixelated world. You do stupid jump on each others while mediocre 8 bit music is playing. When you done in one area, the next area is a set of windows in the wrong order.
Well I like the graphics. But I am wondering too much what am I doing here to actually play it longer
than the 10 minutes I have right now.








3. Woodle Tree Adventures 

Chubby Pixel. You've done it. This f*cking game is the text book definition of classical "cute", in my opinion. Grand-Dad Tree created small tree who shall bring "water" to a so colorful land so that even Nintendo looks like a car brand from the 60ies who ran out of varnish and sand paper.
Well it is obviously some indie product and seems to be rather unfinished. I ran around on the start island but I cant find any way of it. Then I got nerved. And the audio position is buggy. But this is so far the first one that fulfils the "so cute" criteria for me.



4. Two Tribes 


Just when you thought it cant get any cuter. No joke aside. Two Tribes, I have no clue why it is called like that I would have called it "Cute golden overweight birdy" game, but well this is sooo cute that your eyes start to bleed honey.

I have no clue what this game is about. I can not play it right now for a longer time. But it is well made, very good UI, very intuitve gameplay. It is a platformer. And it somehow reminds me of James Pond on the Amiga. For some reason I can not explain right now. Just cute. I definitly will play that again !

5. Triple Town

Ok. This one bonds me. Simple but nice graphics. And a puzzle game. Every round you get an object and you put it somewhere, and when three of the same type, lets say a bush, are adjacent to each other, they become a tree. Three trees get a house, three houses a bigger house. After a few rounds of training and things like bears who turn into gravestones who turn into churches you get the hang of it.
Then, perfectly timed, you start to build your major city with the earnings you do in the smaller settlements. It is really nice. So simple, but so fascinating combinatorial. This is game design by it's best. I played it for over an hour without break. Nicely done. Best of those five, in my opinion.



Conclusion

Triple Town is the one I had instant fun with. Long term I am not sure, could be, could not be.
Two Tribes is the most cute and most advanced, but it is too much of a platformer for me, too cute and something else I cant pin point out right now. Woodle Tree is 3D-cuteness from the start, but needs to transfer more a flair of a finished product. The other two, well, thank you, but no.
All in all worth the money.


No comments:

Post a Comment