Wednesday, August 27, 2014

WTFIISE - WTF IT IS SO EARLY (lol) Review of a Steam Library cadaver "Ys Origin"

IF YOU DONT MIND 20 MINUTE LONG CUT SEQUENCES, THIS IS JAPAN PURE



After a short and nightmarish night I decided to use this two hours of "I am glad to be alive" time to just have a peek into another of my Steam Library decomposing software.

Its "Ys Origin". Honestly, I forgot about this one, I think it was a steam sale one-dayer, and for some reason I thought, yes, let me buy that for next to nothing. OK.

Uhh. It is from Falcom. Yes. These old-school pioneers of RPG in Japan. Wow. Nice. I wish they had an english homepage, too, though. Damn, this japanese website design is so funny (HOT INFO !), everytime. But enough of that.



[ FIRST RUN ]

Ok. THIS GAME IS FROM 2012 ? That seems unlikely. You can not change the resolution from I dont know what this 1024x768 ? There is not even an option for it. Well, I will find a patch If. And it is DirectX 9.

+++UPDATE+++: I found the configuration option dialog !!! : It is OUTSIDE the game, a windows dialog. When I switched to the desktop, I found it. Very fascinating.

And when you push everything to the limit, the game actually looks quite nice !!!

But :  First there is an intro with next to none graphics, but a english text and a japanese girl reading it IN FRENCH WITH BADLY JAPANESE ACCENT. I NEARLY PI**ED MYSELF. After that
ANOTHER Intro, this time classical manga footage with terrible guitar music. And then...well I need a break after these 10 minutes of unexplainable pleasure.



You wake up and first thing you do, you talk totally enthusiastic to a big talking tree. Yeah. These japanese. This tree knows you, or better your parents. And he talks something about someone vanishing into the Miasma. Guys, if you translate a game, you should also try to use terms we westerners understand. I googled Miasma. It is "bad infectious air" ? Nowhere any reference to the japanese meaning of it. But well.

Let us talk further to that tree. *sighs*


After another endless classical bla bla bla I finally could see the game. It is actually quite kewl. You run around in a Zelda Like 3D Half Isometric perspective and beat the **** out of little orks. The control is absolutly non standard, but I really like it. 

I could not save. I could not use the integrated "wiki". The changed configuration parameters did not apply. Well. This is a so non commong game for me I will do another run later. Even if it means I have to go through all the annoying all in all 7 intro sequenzes again. Damn. I could do that intro in five sentences:

1. Land happy, Goddesses powerful and good.
2. Dark Comes, Goddesses hide themselves in the sky, Land goes dark.
3. Dark Forces want to eat Goddesses, start building towers.
4. Two goddesses fell from haven.
5. Rescue party comes from heaven to search for the goddesses, and
    ah yes, realize the land turned to shit, btw.

No comments:

Post a Comment