Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Short Interlude : Beatbuddy: Tale of the Guardians - Indie Arcade Jump'n'Run

FIRST IMPRESSION



While I still **** my brains out with Terraria, btw. really awesome game if you're into that kind of thing, but, I thought, a coffee morning interlude with Beatbuddy couldn't harm the diversity.

I bought Beatbuddy sometime ago in a Humble Bundle for .... not much. More precisely the Humble Bundle German Edition for 11 €. Now I see Beatbundle alone is, uh, 8.99 € on Steam. OK. All praise to Humble Bundle. Well. Money saved ?! Hurray.

Beatbuddy is made with Unity. Since I am still convinced to use Unity for my Owl Game I am a bit more motivated to look at this game.  How do I know ? Apart from Intel and two other splash screens it shows the Unity splash. And it was a winner of the German Developer Award 2013.

TODO: What exactly is the German Developer Award ?

Hmm.The music in the white start menu sounds like something I can make in a tracker in a few hours. (But when I entered the game, I realized that this choice of music for the main menu actually makes total sense !)

Ah, I love the smell of new Software in the morning. So let's press PLAY.



OK. Something completely different than I excepted !! AND I LIKE IT !

The graphic is a watercolor hand paint, like Child of Light, but more robust. In the first world its all underwater style, so crabs, see shells. But the clue is : EVERYTHING is connected to the music playing. And that's done really WELL !!!

It's hard to explain but I enjoyed moving through barriers at the second pulse of a 4/4 beat.


And you can play it in extreme speed or slowly, that option is something really like.

Normally I despise music games, but this one really is neat. And the music is very good, after the cheap tune in the main menu I wasn't expecting very much to be honest.

Only thing that really bugs me so far is that their scrolling/zooming is not perfectly in sync with
the player speed and the player situation. Sometimes you just guess where you will be next.
They designed the levels so far so that this is not worse for the player, but it takes away the
strategic "in control" user experience.

So. I played quite a bit through the first level, and I will continue this game and report my findings later here. But well done so far, Threaks.

And I bet kids with music feeling will LOVE this game !!


No comments:

Post a Comment