Friday, June 13, 2014

World in Conflict - Well isnt that a neat title (esp. for 2007 ?!) - Another DRM and DirectX 9 Voyage

CURRENT RATING AFTER SIX MISSIONS




Time for another fantastic sale for 2,99 on Little Green Man Gaming (or something like that).

Of course I noticed this game back in 2007 due to my general interest in war tactic RTS games and its amazingly iconic title. So now its time to feel it without any risk. Except its trash from another decade.

First thing that gives me the creeps is that first you download it on UPlay and THEN you have to install it via good old installer. Well fine, only English, French (Standard ?) and Spanish well no problem.

Okai after having to scroll down the agreement thing to be able to click on "Agree" (yikes) I am about to see a game...ah a world in conflict. Lets move on.



But when it comes to the place where I want to install it, well I can choose the hard drive but NOT create a new folder for it. Ehm. That's just sad. Yeah I should not complain about 2007 game copy protection or installing, but sighs, it's all DRM contaminated  so why not just hack that creepy ENTER YOUR CD KEY out of it, dear shops'n'distributoris ?? Besides who did this installer was amazingly amazing, cause if you try to copy and paste the key fragments (yes these days we don't have to enter it from a CD label) the boxes stop to work.

Ah another fantastic thing. I bought the complete edition, so why am I seeing the Soviet Assault Package ? Really. This is wired. I used the key from Little Green Men Gaming ( or so) to activate it on UPlay so I could spare me downloading the 10th downloading service. Seems that **** me in the ***. Wait, why do I BUY these games again ? Not for the service, that's for sure.

Update to install orgy Nr.1: Yeah, the capsule gaming client (sighs,yet another one) installs me the complete edition. (7 GB). I will wait with that though. Now since I already installed the Soviet Assault Pack via Uplay first I bet the Key is invalidated and stuff. Funny. Seems like I have the excellent opportunity to get into contact with various game deliverer services and write a ton about their customer support. Are you with me ? :)

Oh and I'm delighted to see what the MassTech Engine could do in 2007.

Game play, well not yet, Tutorial and Crashes (Game in Conflict)

So I'm trying to to do the tutorial. Nice done with spoken dialogs, even the most retarded player
will be able to play this game after he goes through that tutorial.

But of course, as with the most of these old age games, it crashes without any reason. Blank screen (no blue screen at least). And when we lock into the event log of MS we find out that the module that caused the crash was  C:\Windows\system32\d3d11.dll. So its Direct X11 that ***** up WiC, which prolly thinks its still in DX9 world. Well there should be someone or something that has the same problems...lets do a *yawns* terrific and absolutely not time wasting research...

Solution: Okai that was easy. In your documents folder theres a file Game Options in the World of Conflict folder. Theres a setting  myDX10Flag turn that to 0. Ah yeah and turn Compatibility Mode to Win XP SP3, that might help also. Now everything seem to work fine.

Yes but I think Im gonna uninstall and get the whole package. So see you later then.

Update Gameplay #2 (Spoilers from here on)

Okay, so now I am a bit disappointed (attention, a slight spoiler here). You start as Russian. And suddenly you are US Forces again. Sighs. I really was happy to the thought of invading Europe in the early 90ies. Yeah well. Spoiler off, you're fighting in good old US of America.

The game play is always as far as for now that is separated in main and secondary objectives.
It is still more or less learning how to play, getting to know every game mechanism so I cant
do any statements what it will be when you have to use all elements at once.

But its very entertaining so far, and the cut scenes are well done and very good voice actors.
Well its 2007 face animation, but you cant have it all, right ?

Update Gameplay #3

Ahhhhh...after playing two maps as US Forces, you are suddenly Russian Forces again. How NEAT.
Never saw that in a game before. It gets interesting.

Well it switches as said between Russians and US Troops, but the Russian story seem to be set a few month in the future, where as the US Story is set directly after the invasion of the Russian troops. This, ehm ,drains the motivation a bit. Or at least it can. Then again.

Small details are getting on my motivation, but only really minor details (besides simulating war...).
You get three free demolition infantry units with the clear intent to blow a tower where a sniper is residing it away. I tried to blow up the structure without loosing any of the demolition soldiers,
set up smoke along the way and needed quite a few rounds to do the dance. Then I discovered that just shooting with five APCs on the tower does the job. So while it was a real atmospheric element to add the demolition crews, its not necessary. Hmm.

Update Gameplay #4

While nearly setting the game difficulty level from normal to high (or whatever its called, i actually did not look) cause the first 5 maps were WAY to easy, now suddenly a map is SO much more
difficult. Either the learning phase is over OR the design guys did a really bad job in increasing the difficulty level. Either way, wow, its like a bang to the head.

Stay tune for more. Or so.
 
Official Page Ubisoft Official Page
Walkthrough Quality Campaign Walkthrough

No comments:

Post a Comment