Tuesday, October 7, 2014

The Neko Humble Bundle - What is a "Neko", Mother ?

If you child has the same question than I have right now, may I call you mother/father ?

Joke.


No. Yes. I have seriously no clue what Neko is. But I am pretty sure it is a Japanese or
Chinese or Vietnamese or so software company. And as I like it, I bought it without having
a clue about it.

Update : Well. As I know now, it is French. Yes. French. LOL. And it was only for console. Then they ported all of their titles here. And for some strange reason most of the startup dialogs look *exactly* like the Unity3D dialog.

So let me jump right into it. Right now you have 2 days something left to also jump into it for
6 dollars I think.

1.Crouching Pony Hidden Dragon
2.GAUGE
3.The Mysterious Cities of Gold
4.Wooden Sen'SeY
5.Storm
6.Puddle
7.Poöf

Press "Read more" to see the reviews and the *tamdadadadamm* conclusion...




1. Crouching Pony Hidden Dragon

Right. Pixelart. Me likez Pixelart. BUT. First of all it has no options menu. I can not change the keys.
And I did not find out which buttons where which. At least not in the amount of time I was willing to spend for a game without an options menu, for god sake. Then I somehow skipped the story thanks to a wrong button and landed in some weird tutorial choosing dialog, where I saw the animations of the female protagonist. And I puked. It looked like something I could do in 10 minutes in Graphics Gale. Thank you I skip this one.



2. GAUGE

Press Spacebar
Press Spacebar
What to do if you lack of any words. Ehm. This thing may be described as : "Press your spacebar and a horizontal bar fills up." That's it. Nothing more. Very impressive nothingness. So I will honor it by filling this review with repeatedly writing "Press Spacebar." So I can post the screenshots. Press Spacebar Press Spacebar Press Spacebar Press Spacebar Press


3.The Mysterious Cities of Gold

Well. This thing seems to be based on some badly drawn eastern-style anime comic. Like they drew it in the early 90ies.
First you have to sit through a movie introduction, which is a loosely cutted thing that explains that you are a little boy who is chosen to find some secret cities in China. I ask the same questions like the boy does : "Why am I chosen ? And what is this about ?" Then you fly on a yellow mechanical bird to china, of course, just to crash there. *yawns*.

The game itself is not that bad, but not my taste. It is an isometric adventure, with click and search character. It is somewhat washy the design. You have to switch between characters to solve some dumb platform riddles etc. Well, the music, except the main menu music, is decent. All in all, perhaps there is more to it later on, but I am not sure if I will find out. Ever.


4.Wooden Sen'SeY

The first in this Bundle that has some compact style of its own. It is a Jump'n'Run of a Wooden
Ninja log. The music is like in The Last Ninja, I like it. The graphics look a bit too much like
NES64 but ok. And the keyboard mapping was default but the backwards movement was set to Q.


Besides all this I was looking forward to play it. But the first boss was so confusing, this killed
all my ambition. I simply did not figure out what to do to kill him. Seriously. And they gave
no clue. Hmm. Perhaps you find out.

5. Storm

And now for something completely different. Supported by smoothing meditation music, you have
rain or storm abilities and you have to transport the seed of a tree to a place in a 2-3 screen wide
nature setting where it can grow another tree. One time you use wind. The next time water.
It is a nice idea and well done graphics, actually, but as exciting as a sleeping pill.

6. Puddle

Well. I am learning a lot here. That game is...well...absurd again. You actually have two options. You can rotate the screen either to the left oooor to the right with the left or right mouse button. In the first level, the only one I played and will play, you have to overturn a coffee cup and then navigate the spoiled liquid through a maze of pumps that for some reason are under the coffee table. Seriously, I see no entertainment value nor any way this *could* make fun in the way it is presented. For that I give a *thumbs up*. Nothingness in its FINEST form.

7.Poöf

Finally, some humor !!! You play a dog and have to protect some pig. It is done in the comic style of the 60ies. Well designed, good music, nice sounds. But much to hectic, no build up.

I am sure some of you will go crazy with this game. Not for me. But I keep it on my harddrive, for tough times. Have to look if theres a DRM free version. This would actually be a nice addition to my offline laptop games collection for long train journeys etc.

Conclusion

This was worth the money.  If you are into game development, you can learn a lot from these games.

If you are "only" into gaming : Do not really bother, unless something is absolutely eye-catching or sounds exactly like you need it. But do go and look at some videos or stuff. Do not pay more than next to nothing for ANY of these games in my humble opinion.


No comments:

Post a Comment