Saturday, January 3, 2015

Quick'n'Dorty #1

In the Quick'n'Dorty Series I will really fast go through games and write whatever comes to my mind.

The following games are being "reviewed"

1. Deus Ex - Human Revolution (Pseudo-SciFi FPS)
2. Daikatana (Oldschool FPS)
3. Spelunky (Indie-Vector 2D Platformer)

4. Spirits  (Leminesk-Indie Remake)

Click to Read the reviews 




 Deux Ex - Human Revolution

What the fudge is this, please ? 91 on metacritic ? That must be a joke.

The design of the game is synthetic, and looks like a cheap production. It is clean like
without any sign of anything. I do not yet know how to describe it. It is like a comic style game
without wanting to be that.

The characters are shallow as far as I played it, and the female scientist is a parody of every
cliche I can think of.

But the real nasty thing : The combat feels sooo bad. The weapon is so bad, the aiming is
bad, and the AI of the enemies is a joke.

Daikatana

I think I actually paid 0,49 euros for that one. It is from 2000, and it is baaaaaaad.

I actually like the intro, some karate kid sword fighter type, who can not pay his rent,
is actually some      descendantof some great swordfighter, who build the sword, which, *breathes*
can change time and space.

The game itself. Well. The thing that perhaps is most fascinating that for level parts smaller
than two 100 square meter rooms it needs to load like 20 seconds on my high end pc.

But since it is made by some guy who made Doom and stuff, it is some kind of a history lesson.
And I really like the voice acting.

Spelunky

I did not look when this was made. But it is a pretty neat 2D platformer with bombs, a whip and
some Indiana Jones aesthetics.  The craftsmanship of the vector drawings is above average yet
cartonish simple, the whole design is fitting together. The music is ok.

I lost interest after I died around 10 times in stupid situations where the controls where not
as intuitive as I would like them to be. But I will play it again someday.

Spirits

This one has some artistic value and is more or less an reinterpretation of lemmings with fewer options. You get some spirits and you can transform them into wind or plants that act as bridges
and so on. As lemingesk as it is you have to bring a certain amount of spirits safely to a whirlwind to complete the level.

It is not high grade but solid work and for some moments of abstract thinking and mild puzzle solving together with some red wine it might work well.


No comments:

Post a Comment