Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Dwelling in Source - Part 1

Since I have some time today I will get into the Source world with trying to import objects from Day of Infamy into Blender and mix it with my new prototypes for my Day of Infamy Map.

so, first I seem to need to get the Blender Source Tools from Valve here.

I did that last time I managed to import a object into Day of Infamy, but without the textures, too.

That is the first tutorial I found about this specific topic.

How to decompile the DoI files ?

Well, there were tools from third-parties in the past. As far as I understand it now, you just can use vdk.exe in the bin directory from your DoI steam install. (not sure if you have to install the sdk prior, have to look that up again)

After a few not working attempts I finally managed to move doi_models_dir.vpk over the vdk.exe, and heureka, it decompiled the models.

That was easy, but the models and textures still were in some meta format that made me unable to load them directily with the supposedly outdated blender import tools from valve anyway.

Anyway, I now manage to import some of the fully decomplied sdk example weapons and found the decompiled materilas for it.

But I switched for some reasons while reading up on .cq files to Hammer, which still didnt work since I reinstalled a fresh Windows and changed the steam directories due to volume name changes.

That lead me deeper into some areas where I then frust-read some more and found out that you have to change the directories in GameInfo,txt in the steam game bin directory of Game of Infamy...eh Day of Infamy.

So now Hammer works again fine and I will chill down and watch some hammer tutorials for ... fun.


No comments:

Post a Comment